Want to add maintenance-free beauty to your home’s landscaping? Then consider planting ornamental grasses this spring. They not only can have a big impact in terms of eye appeal but also require little care.
- Tolerate drought, wetness, winter temps
- Are resistant to most diseases and insect pests
- Require almost no fertilizer or pesticide
- Add visual interest to winter landscapes for year-round enjoyment
- Don’t need mowing or much else!
Even more fun, ornamental grasses add motion and sound when the wind catches them, and because butterflies and birds are attracted to many, you can get continuous showings of “Mother Nature’s Theater” right in your own yard.
Grasses Can Be Graceful, Visually Interesting
and Can Create Shade and Privacy
Many grasses come in an assortment of colors and forms and range in height from inches to several feet. They can be used throughout your landscaping to create borders, to decorate your fences or to add dimension to your gardens. They also can be used to:
- Provide shade and privacy
- Create soothing and serene environments
- Add color, variety and visual interest to your property
There are many varieties of grasses from which to choose and that do well in Omaha including Tall Fescue, Zebra Grass, some varieties of Fountain Grass, Switchgrass, Japanese Silver Grass, Blue Oat Grass and many, many more.
No matter the season, no matter if it’s dry or wet, ornamental grasses are excellent for homeowners seeking lovely, worry-free landscaping.
For more information, call your favorite landscaper, visit your favorite nursery, or review these articles from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension Service.